"The Safe Hiring Manual"
by Attorney Lester Rosen
“The Safe Hiring Manual is the ‘bible’ of background checks.” - Bruce Berg, President, Berg Consulting Group
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual - The Complete Guide to Employment Screening Background Checks for Employers, Recruiters, and Jobseekers” (Facts On Demand Press/826 pages). The Third Edition is updated and enhanced with a new format to provide Employers, HR Hiring Managers, and Security Professionals with a practical and comprehensive blueprint on how to establish a legally compliant Safe Hiring Program. Updates to this book and important new information can be found at The Safe Hiring Manual Updates Page.
- Information on how to avoid lawsuits involving the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Compliance with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Guidance.
- Updates on Discrimination, Ban-the-Box, Privacy, and Data Protection Rules.
- International Screening, Social Media, Criminal Records, and Credit Checks.
- Negligent Hiring, Insider Threats, State Laws, and 2nd Chances for Ex-Offenders. And much more!
Includes Tips from These Expert Attorneys
- Craig Bertschi, McRae Bertschi, LLC
- Wendy Bliss, Author of ‘Legal Effective References: How to Give and Get Them’
- Ron S. Brand, Esq., Jackson Tidus, A Law Corporation
- Frank A. S. Campbell, CEO, Highland Strategies, LLC
- Kevin L. Coy, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- Pamela Q. Devata, Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Rod M. Fliegel, Littler Mendelson, P.C.
- Larry D. Henry, Rhodes Hieronymus
- Stephen J. Hirschfeld, Curiale Hirschfeld Kraemer LLP, CEO Employment Law Alliance
- Lewis Maltby, National Workrights Institute Jennifer L. Mora, Littler Mendelson, P.C.
- Attorney Scott M. Paler, DeWitt Ross & Stevens S.C.
- Courtney Stieber, Seyfarth Shaw LLP
Previous Testimonials for The Safe Hiring Manual
The Safe Hiring Manual is “the source” and its author, Les Rosen, is “the authority” on background screening applicants, whether employees or volunteers. We trusted Les’ expertise and integrity so much that we partnered with his firm to conduct tens of thousands of background checks for our Youth Protection Program. Given the complexity of federal and state laws that regulate background screening, you need to be very careful in threading the legal needle. That’s why we rely on Les and that’s why you need the Safe Hiring Manual, the most comprehensive and up-to-date book on background screening.
-Ralph Yanello, Attorney at Law
Hiring employees has never been riskier than it is today. Employers must comply with a myriad of employment and other laws in order to stay compliant and out of court. Once again, Les Rosen, one of the preeminent experts in background searches and accompanying laws hits it out the park with the only book you will ever need to guide you on safe hiring practices. Packed with practical advice in an easy to read format, this book provides you policies, forms, tips to help you understand the data you collect and guidance along the way to make sure you are legally compliant with all avenues of your background checks. Your lawyers will thank you for getting this book!
- Allison West, Esq., SPHR, Trainer/Speaker/Investigator/ HR Consultant, Employment Practices Specialists
The update of The Safe Hiring Manual is very timely because the practice of conducting background checks is facing many challenges with the EEOC’s focus on credit checks, education verifications and issuance of their New Guidance on use of Criminal Background Checks as well as many special interest groups advocating for previously incarcerated persons rights. From ‘Ban the Box’ to expanded expungement of criminal records rights employers are facing an affront on getting information they believe will help them provide a safe workplace, reduce theft, embezzlement, fraud , identify theft, other crimes and to assess overall employee trustworthiness.
- W. Barry Nixon, SPHR, Executive Director, National Institute for Prevention of Workplace Violence, Inc.